1. To organise, on behalf of the Association, the Australian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology, to be held in an Australian city designated by the Executive, in very late November or early December in the year designated for the conference, and in a format similar to previous conferences of the same name (the conference will henceforth be referred to in these Terms of Reference as the "SST Conference" or simply the "Conference"). In deciding the Conference dates, consideration shall be given first to the needs of the local speech science and technology community, secondly to the international community, and thirdly to the dates of other relevant conferences.
2. To name the conference "The Nth Australian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology" (where "N" equals the next number in the ordinal series which started in 1986 with the first conference) and to use the logo "SST-M" (where "M" equals the numeric label of the year in which the Conference is held - thus the first SST Conference in 1986 used the logo "SST-86").
3. To organise and run the Conference under the auspices of ASSTA Inc., whose name should appear on all conference letterhead and publicity, and to include in the organising committee a nominee of the ASSTA Executive who will represent the Executive on that committee.
4. To aim for a disciplinary breadth of the Conference which is not less than that achieved by previous SST Conferences, and for some balance of scientific background and country of origin of the Conference keynote speaker(s), taking into account keynote speakers at recent SST Conferences.
5. To identify the Conference with the city in which it is held, rather than with any particular institution, in all official correspondence and publicity.
6. To publish, on behalf of the Association, proceedings of the Conference, which are similar in format and quality to previous SST proceedings (see guidelines on proceedings).
7. To organise, on behalf of the Association, a Speech Science and Technology Tutorial Day in conjunction with the SST Conference in a format similar to previous SST tutorial days (see guidelines on the Tutorial Day).
8. To coopt additional Committee Members, who shall be financial members of ASSTA, subject to confirmation by the Association, which in turn will maintain public liability insurance for the named committee. See guideline on committee structure.
9. To conduct the full organisation of the conference. The Organising Committee should aim for minimal administrative cost, and any professional organiser should only be used in extreme circumstances after consultation with the ASSTA Executive. All Committee Members should be available during the organising period.
10. To request a loan from the treasurer of the Association, to seed the activities under these terms of reference, and to repay any such loan by 31st March of the year following that in which the Conference is held.
11. To present budgets for all activities under these terms of reference on request from the treasurer of the Association. Such budgets to indicate an expected surplus of income over expenditure of approximately 20 percent (where this income and expenditure does NOT include the receiving or repayment of a loan from the Association)
12. To present income and expenditure statements which give true accounts of all financial activities under these terms of reference on request from the treasurer of the Association
13. To return the surplus of income over expenditure, which is expected to be approximately 20 percent of the Conference budget, to the Association before 30 June in the year following that in which the Conference is held.
14. To use stationery for all official correspondence and publicity by the Committee which is similar to the stationery used for previous SST Conferences and which includes the name of the Association and the logo "SST-M" (see clause 1) printed in a hollow font as for the previous SST Conferences, and to lodge copies of all official correspondence with the ASSTA secretary.
15. To ask members of the International Advisory Board (IAB) to advise on conference planning and publicity (see IAB guidelines); ascertain whether they will be attending the conference, and if so arrange free registration in return for chairing duties (see IAB guidelines). A current list of IAB members will be supplied to the SST Committee by the Association secretary.
16. To report activities of the SST Committee to the Executive of the Association on request, and to General Meetings of the Association.
Adopted by Executive - 13th November 1997
Based on the Terms of Reference adopted by the ASSTA Executive on the 26th November 1996.